I adapted this recipe to make it vegan:
- 1/2 cup of soy sauce
- 1/3 cup of brown sugar
- 2 tbsp sesame oil (or 1.5 tbsp of toasted sesam oil)
- 2 tbsp rice wine vinegar
- 2 green onions, chopped
- 4-5 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp fresh ginger, grated (I used a generous tsp of powdered ginger)
- Sea salt and freshly cracked pepper, to taste (if desired)
- Pinch of crushed red pepper (I left this out because I am a baby about hot food)
Mix all the ingredients really well and add a package of Gardein beef tips (or you could do tofu). Stir it all up and refrigerate for at least 4 hours or overnight. Make sure you sitr it at least a few times. Heat a large non-stick pan on medium-high, add a little oil and a pinch of salt. Remove the beef/tofu pieces from the marinade and add to pan, cook a few minutes and then pour in the rest of the marinade. Let it cook down a bit, and if it seems kind of thin add a tsp of cornstarch dissolved in a tsp of warm water.
Serve with rice and broccoli (or my preference: mashed potato).