From Cucina Libera, this veggie lasagne is healthy AND tasty. Next time I’ll make a few modifications – I’ll double the pesto and add a little milk to the ricotta so it’s not so thick, and add more veggies.
This makes about 4 very generous servings.
2 large eggplants
Peel the eggplant and cut it into 1/8″ rounds or lengthwise – this is going to act as the “pasta”. Sprinkle liberally with salt and set aside in a colander to leech out the liquid.
16 oz mushrooms (I used shiitake, but any would suffice)
1 tbsp oil
Heat a frying pan on medium, slice the mushrooms and add to the pan with the oil and a pinch of salt. Fry, stirring occasionally, until all the liquid has released. Set aside.
3 x 15 oz cans of butter/great northern/cannellini beans (any combination)
4 tbsp nutritional yeast
a handful of parsley
1 tbsp of umeboshi paste (optional)
Rinse the beans well and drain. Add to your food processor, along with the yeast, parsley and umeboshi. Process till smooth. Set aside
1/2 c pumpkin seeds
1/4 c olive oil
1 bunch of basil
1 clove garlic
Add the seeds, basil and garlic to your food processor and blend till finely chopped. With the food processor still running, slowly drizzle in the oil. Season with salt. Set aside.
2 jars of marinara sauce
1 package of Daiya mozzarella shreds
Now to make the lasagne! Heat your oven to 350 F.
– add a few spoonfuls of marinara to the bottom of a big lasagne dish or casserole dish, or you could do individual mini casseroles; this is just to stop the lasagne sticking, so it should be a very thin layer
– make a layer of eggplant
– add dollops of the bean ricotta
– add spoonfuls of pesto and then swirl the ricotta/pesto with the back of a spoon, try to smooth it out as much as you can
– add a layer of mushrooms
– add a layer of cheese
– add a layer of marinara
– repeat till everything is used up
– I added a layer of crushed Trader Joe’s meatless meatballs before the final layer of marinara
– finally, top with a layer of cheese
Cover with foil and bake for 50 mins, till eggplant is cooked through. Let it rest about 15 mins before serving.