This is the fried chicken recipe I’ve been looking for – the flavours are just perfect in every way. I adapted Hell Yeah It’s Vegan!’s recipe a little:
– I had Gardein Chick’n Scallopini in the freezer, so I decided to use that rather than making seitan from scratch this time. However, while it tasted good, the Gardein doesn’t have enough substance – it got kinda soggy and didn’t really hold up to frying. Lightly marinated tofu would great, though.
– I only used about 1/4″ of peanut oil in my fancy new all-clad skillet, and it was plenty for frying the thin Gardein fillets.
– I also forgot to pick up spicy brown mustard, but I googled the ingredients and came across this:
“There are no known substitutes for spicy brown mustard. In this case, individuals are encouraged to make their own recipe for this condiment. The ingredients that are included in the makings of this are mustard seed, red wine vinegar, dry mustard, water, prepared horseradish, ground turmeric, ground cloves, brown sugar, and dry red wine. All of these ingredients must be combined and simmer in a saucepan , then allowed to sit for 60 to 90 minutes at room temperature before being used in any way.”
So… I mixed up the water and flour and then just added:
– a big pinch of mustard powder
– about a tsp of red wine vinegar
– 1/2 tsp of horse radish
– 1/4 tsp of turmeric
– a good pinch of brown sugar
– a tiny splash of beaujolais
since I didn’t have ground cloves and didn’t feel like waiting for an hour or more. But the breading tasted absolutely fantastic, I’ll definitely be making this again.
Served up with sauteed swiss chard and mashed potatoes: